Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Ho hum...

Here I sit, waiting for dear children to get their work done. I must say that when I signed up to be a teacher, I never banked on teaching something like Drama. Speech -- well, at least that's got some relevance to future times for these kids. But I have myriad students talking to me every day -- "I want to be an actor like Orlando Bloom when I graduate." or my own favorite, "My parents are thinking of sending me to an Arts High School." Now, I bear no ill will to the nearest Arts High School. But these kids are talking like New York City boarding school hard-core ARTS High School. From Farmington to the spotlights? Not that way. Not for quite some time. These kids are, after all, coming from a place where their drama department is so neglected it has me for the head of it. Yikes.
Perhaps I'm not giving myself enough credit.
But let's be honest -- drama = not me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Buckwalter said...

Mmm. Indeed. Once again, I am opposed in principle to the notion of an "arts" high school, mostly because most of the people I've known who attended the Arts HS in Golden Valley were bellends. Moderate success in two junior high plays do not an actor make... if she was doing summer stock somewhere, or if she had enjoyed equal success in community theater, then so be it. Things being as they are, though, that's a bad idea. I'm talking "there can't possibly be electric current running through this puddle; I think I'll stick my uninsulated hand in it" bad idea. For shame.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Madame Flamingo said...

Hey -- that sounds like a pretty good idea. I've got some kids in my 7th hour class who need something to do...

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home