Thursday, May 26, 2005

Watership Triumphant!

What an amazing book! I love it when you get so involved in a story that you actually cannot send the necessary nerve impulse signals to your arms allowing you to set the book down for a few minutes. Watership Down was excellent -- much love to the little bunlets. I feel honored to have my classroom here be right next door to the Agriculture classroom, where 1 buck, 2 does, and one new little bunny abide.
It's fantastic that you can feel so much for these characters. I mean, they're just rabbits. Little rodent guys with fluffy tails and big ears. But the author makes them into so much more -- creating a separate language, giving them humanity without making them into people. He maintains their rabbit-ness all throughout. For the past two weeks, as I read this book, I have lived in fear that some of the smaller but valiant rabbits like Fiver and Pipkin were going to be killed. But it all turned out okay. I think I'll have to help the Ag teacher next door name the new bunny -- he does have a big shock of hair on the top of his head. Thalayli, perhaps?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home