Sunday, February 19, 2006

Everyone told me...

that it would snow sometime this winter. Gail, who owns the yarn store I like to frequent, mentioned that it would snow sometime since we are so close to the mountain, but that you had to be around a window to see it, because it rarely stays.
So today, Buckwalter and I awoke, and both mentioned, just based on the light coming in through the blinds, that if we were still in MN, this would a snowy day. Lo and behold, we walked into the living room to see fluffy snowflakes falling, and falling hard! Well, as hard as the fluffy flakes can fall. But the point is there were a great number of them. So, not having seen snow this winter yet, I did what any other Las Vegianian would do -- I took out the camera and took some pictures!
I am no stranger to snow, but I am a stranger to it when it falls on the palm trees in your backyard.
So there it is. Snow in Las Vegas. After we noticed it, it fell for about 30 minutes more, then turned into rain. As you can see, not even a little bit of snow stayed on the ground -- it melted probably before it even touched down.
In the first picture, which was taken from our balcony, you would usually be able to have a lovely view of the mountains on the east side of the valley and the Stratosphere, of course. However, due to the lovely foggy clouds (can a cloud be foggy?) none of these things were visible.
We had an awesome evening yesterday with Chairwoman Mau -- she made a big splash in the Lyra department. We had some cigars by the poolside and enjoyed a hearty conversation with many a laugh. And the SuperBowl party we went to a couple weeks ago was awesome! How many super bowl parties have I ever been to where three different kinds of wine, oysters, king crab legs, fondue (the cheddar) and X-treme BBQ chicken were served? I also finally got to watch the end of Jaws (which I had never seen) on our host's massive aquarium sized TV. It was scary, but luckily he had prepared so much seafood that I felt like we evened the score. Here's to new friends! It's like that old Girl Scouts' Song...
Tonight Buckwalter cooks Cilantro Chicken on our electric grill inherited from Mr. Ed (thank you to him!) and we'll watch the Goodbye Girl! I'm almost done with a super cool vest --perhaps I shall favor you all with a picture as the week goes on. The pictures seem to accrue faster than I can think of witty things to say along with them for a post. Perhaps I'll just have to bite the bullet and post them sans comments. Oh, I bet I can think of SOMETHING to say, but it might have to just be boring captions like "Buckwalter with cat" and "outside the window." Hm.
Also, I'm considering opening up my knitting skills in a little (and I mean little) entrepreneur-ship. Any thoughts from the world? I am concerned that it would become no fun to make too much for money, but I got the word that some folk back in MN really liked the Taos-colored bag I made for Buckwalter's dear mother for Christmas, and they're just so easy to make....seems like a couple bags for profit wouldn't hurt. And the baby socks and hat are always a hit at a baby shower...something to think about. Don't worry, flock. I shall be thinking about it. And about you all too!
Everytime I end a post I am always reminded of one of my first piano books, which was a Broadway easy piano book "hosted" by Miss Piggy. It was my favorite for so long, and I think it's still at my Mom's house, or if not there, it's lost forever...anyway, on the cover, it had a picture of Miss Piggy in a glittery top hat and leotard, and she had "signed" the book, much as I will sign off to you all now:

Hugs and Kisses,
Miss Piggy
(or, in this case, Madame Flamingo)

1 Comments:

Blogger Madame Flamingo said...

I am proud to have gained the Muffin vote. Always good to know there are benefits to what you are doing! Glad to see you back from the darkness, too! :)

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home