Monday, September 25, 2006

The Tragedy of Teaching

There are many lovely perks to this oh-so-wonderful job, but just for a moment, let me tell you about the Tragedy of Teaching. The tragedy is that no matter how many outstanding, intelligent, well-behaved children you see in one day, if those two or three jackasses decide to be a jerk to you, then that's all your mind has the power to remember for one day. I had a great day today until my last hour, when this little trio decided that it was their time to speak their mind. Not on my time, trio. So that's the tragedy.
I think I'm running into this tragedy this year because my goal for the year was to start off on more of a hard line, in order to bring more sanity to my springtime madness! And so far it's great, but it does mean that I can't ignore these outbursts like I may have done in the past. It's a tragedy. And it is a tragedy that any parent would sanction their children's behavior in this manner, but that's another post entirely. No more to be said, because it's time to cheer myself up.
Buckwalter is making his infamous chili recipe, inherited from Mr. Ed, and it smells SOOO good -- we also have discovered the wonders of Lucerne Sharp Cheddar. And the ecstasy of Von's M&M cookies. Anyone who comes to visit us will be made to partake of these delicacies. So soft, so gooey, only half-cooked like any good cookie should be.
Also, I've discovered a new author (well, new to me) that I'm in love with. Margaret Atwood is amazing. I read "The Blind Assassin" last month, and immediately after finishing it, wanted to read it again. We've got our library cards for the good old library here, and it's been a joy. I'm currently reading another Atwood book -- "Alias Grace" and am stunned by her complexly constructed prose. We also checked out "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" and the third season of South Park, with "Bye Bye Birdie" on request. I love the library. I had forgotten how wonderful it could be, but I just love to walk up and down the aisles and look at the spines, reading the titles, smiling at some that I know or find funny, and kneeling down for a closer look at those that intrigue me. The quiet, the calm, and the books -- definitely a refuge that I have missed since college.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bisons said...

I love Margaret Atwood, too! In fact, she did a reading at the Loft Literary Center, which was then at Pratt School, that we attended years ago--and Buckwalter even went with us. She was promoting her book, "The Robber Bride", and it was great!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home