Thursday, June 30, 2005

I hate dresses...

So last night Buckwalter was kind enough to look at dresses for my ushering gig. We checked out Marshall Fields, where everything was on sale. And it was fun, until some old biddy got up in his businaaaass. After that, it wasn't fun anymore.
But I must complain about trying to buy a formal black dress. If you have hundreds of dollars to spend, then you are good to go. But if you have not-so hundreds of dollars, the stakes are tightened, and suddenly you must throw yourself head first into a wasteland of size 3 and size 26 dresses, with few and far between. Then, since you are a woman buying dresses, you may not simply look for just one size. You have to grab dresses within a 6 size radius, for example, size 8 to size 14. Any of these dresses may or may not fit you. A size 8 in one will be much to small in the halter top dress, while a size 8 of the strapless dress will be much too big. It makes no sense. I don't think it's too much to ask for a little reasonability here on the part of the dress makers. We can't just all have the same size? Why would that be so terrible? Hm?
Anyway, I'm going to probably continue my quest on the solo front tonight. Poor Buckwalter has no patience for swimming in taffeta and trying on 15 different sizes in the same style, just to see if one will maybe make the cut. And who can blame him? Certainly not me. Wish me luck and safety at sea!

2 Comments:

Blogger Buckwalter said...

There's one simple solution to the women's-sizes problem: go inches. Even this is not always the same everywhere you go, but it never works against you. For example, if you have a 36" waist, all 36s will fit you... and then sometimes a 34 will fit and it's like a bonus. Unfortunately, women (it seems) can't be trusted to feel good enough about themselves to buy any clothes at all if ACTUAL size enters into the mix, hence the problem with arbitrary numbers being assigned... well... arbitrarily.

But Buckwalter (some would say), it's not just one dimension like men's suits. It's about bust, waist, hips, length.... Right. Well, the sizes that are out there have to based on something, don't they? What if women's dress sizes changed to something more like men's pants sizes. Something like old size 8 = new size 36x30, where the first number is bust and the second is waist? Seems logical to me.

Heavens. I've gone on for too long here. Anyway, I empathize, and I wish there was a better way. And I'll go out dress shopping with you tonight if you like. Just say the word!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that the more expensive the dress and the more exclusive the store, the smaller the dress size will be. I normally wear a size 8 or 10, but when I've bought a fancy outfit for a special occasion, it's been a size 4 or 6! It's just too bad that we have to depend on little numbers on clothing tags to feel good about ourselves! Anyway, I hope that by now you've found the perfect black dress for Josh's wedding!

Love,
Beth

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home