Thursday, June 30, 2005

Words, words everywhere, but not a drop to read.

I'm currently reading The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips. It's an enjoyable book, and it's been a long time since I've read a book that's all epistilary (written in letter form).
But here's the biggest problem with this manner of creating a novel. There are two characters writing in this book -- 9oe, a retired detective who has dragged up a missing persons case and is unraveling his findings throughout the novel and two, the missing person himself, personal letters of his as well as notes on his findings in Egypt.
The detective's letters are awesome and very exciting. The missing person...he's a crazy fop and not terribly interesting. Unfortunately for me, the missing person has oodles more included in the story than the detective. So I end up reading very quickly through his letters in order to get back to the detective, already!
Therein lies the problem. Not a large problem, I know, but a problem nonetheless.
I hate to bail on books, but I have considered it a couple times for this novel. But I shall not fail. I'm going to make it to the end. It's not like the entire book is boring, after all -- just the parts of Ralph Trilipush. Who would have thought that a character with such an exciting surname could "write" such blah-zay letters. Even to his finacee.
Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home