Friday, August 19, 2005

Ahh, Sunset

We received our first issue of the most fabulous magazine, Sunset -- a guide to living, decorating, traveling and what have you in the west. I look forward to sleeping in tomorrow and reading my magazine on my balcony with the sun rising to midsky and my plants freshly watered. Ah, the weekend.

But on another note, I've been provoked (though not in a negative way) by Quentin's words on The Corral. Perspective. Important indeed. It is of utmost importance.

I heard a speaker today -- Dr. Harry Wong, who wrote the book The First Days of School. He spoke about his big ideas about effective education -- procedure and routine. For myself, it was a bit of an eye-opener, because I have usually equated routine filled classrooms with two things: elementary school, and boring. But I've decided I'm going to try some of his ideas in my classroom this year. It's always good to spice it up a bit, right? :)

Here's where perspective comes into it. I've been teaching for 2 years. That makes me still a rookie, but at least a rookie who's been around the half-block. The new teachers in my new district are DOMINATED by fresh off the vine teachers -- never taught before. But even the dominating majority here still leaves about 300 people to be accounted for. And that's the rest of us -- people with at least a few years experience. Some of these old hats are inspired, excited, and thrilled by the change in scenery, the new district, the fun speakers, the crazy doorprizes, and the newness of it all. Some of them are sitting through these inservices complaining and whining, and stating over and over again that they would rather be working in their rooms, because that's where they need to be right now. One of them even assured me that she wasn't this negative in her own classroom, and that she would never dream of being this negative in front of students.

I smiled and felt like hitting her.

These people perhaps don't lack perspective, but they are certainly in need of a serious perspective shift. Realize that you are in control. You can be happy. You can be whiny. It's your choice. Sometimes there are outside factors that are so large, that this idea of emotions as a choice disappears. But an 8 hour inservice that you are being paid for and a death in the family are not exactly the same thing.

I'm rambling, aren't I?

I just hope that I can always keep my perspective -- make things fresh for myself and fun for myself even if they are boring. Because I have found in education that your attention as a student is directly related to your effectiveness in the classroom. Think about the crazy crazy people you may have sat next to in high school, and picture some of them in front of a classroom someday. Yeah. It's scary, alright.

So I vow, now, here, to all of you, that I will keep my attitude in mind whenever I am at an inservice, conference, etc. or some of the more boring aspects of teaching. (There aren't that many, it's true.) I promise that I will stay positive (s.p.) and make you all unafraid to say, "Hey, do you see that smiley chipper lady over there? She's my buddy, and you should know, she's exactly the same chipper person in her classroom. What a great gal."

I do love complimenting myself on behalf of all of you. Thanks for the kind words, guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home